Top Dog Breeds That Can Make Your Homeowners Insurance Jump
You may not think much of it, but the hairiest, friendliest member of your family could cause your homeowners insurance to skyrocket. Many major insurance carriers continue to limit coverage over specific dogs despite the recent backlash by the American Kennel Club. Some states are considering barring breed discrimination by insurers. Until then insurers insist on targeting large dogs that can inflict a lot of damage. Before you pick a dog, consider the following insurance information.
How This Decision is Made
Their decision is not solely based on the reputation of a dog. Insurers look at the frequency of dog bites for each breed and research conducted by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. According to research, $100,000 up to $300,000 of liability is the standard coverage for dog bites under homeowner's insurance. This is more so since dog bites are a major part of homeowners' insurance claims.
Common Dogs That Increase Your Homeowners Insurance
Every insurer has a different list of dogs that are considered "blacklisted". The following dogs are among the most common, and here's why these insurers see these breeds as such a liability.
- Pit Bull – Although their popularity has grown more in the past couple of years, Pit Bulls are still considered the most dangerous dogs in America, as it appears that they have been bred for the purpose of fighting.
- Rottweiler – Rottweiler's have the second most lethal bite, able to bite with a force of 300 lbs. of pressure.
- Siberian Husky – Naturally aggressive tendencies can create a potentially dangerous situation.
- Chow Chow – Chow Chows are often described as territorial, protective, and stubborn. In a study conducted comparing the most severe dog bites in Palm Beach County, out of 2,132 bites, the Chow Chow was responsible for 16.2% of bites in 1993.
- German Shepherd –Their loyalty, intelligence, and obedience make this the perfect dog for military or police work. With those capabilities in mind, they can cause some damage if placed in a bad situation.
- Wolf Hybrid – These are dogs that are bred with wolves, causing them to retain many of the wild characteristics of their vicious cousins.
The major problem dog lovers find is that these dogs are among the most dangerous as well as the most popular dogs in America. Many homeowners find themselves in a situation where they have to deal with high insurance costs because of the breed of dog that they have. Just make a note of the above dog breeds in case you are seeking a new dog for your home.
For more information, contact a business such as Bell Insurance Inc.